Kickin' Corn Fritters
½ cup washed cranberries
1 cup washed and hulled strawberries
1 cup sugar
½ Tablespoon lemon juice
dash of salt
1)Wash cranberries and drain in a colander. Remove bad ones. Put into pot on stove.
2) Measure out strawberries. Add to pot on stove.
3) Measure out the sugar and add to pot.
4) Add ½ Tablespoon of lemon juice and a dash of salt.
5) Cook the mixture on low heat, stirring occasionally. It should become thick and half the size.
This should take 30 minutes.
½ cups cornmeal
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ Tablespoon salt
¼ Tablespoon cracked black pepper
¼ cup sun dried cranberries
¼ cup corn (frozen)
¼ cup sunflower oil
½ to 1 cups hot water
1) Measure out the cornmeal and flour and put in a medium size bowl.
2) Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and cracked black pepper. Stir lightly.
3) Wash scallion.. Cut off bottoms. Finely chop stalks in small pieces. Add to mixture.
4) Measure out dried cranberries and corn and add to bowl. Stir lightly.
5) Measure out and add the sunflower oil.CHECK ON THIS!!! Mix gently until all ingredients are blended.
6) Add ½ cup of hot water and mix thoroughly. If needed, add a bit more water checking consistency. It should be like thick, hot cereal.
7) Turn on heat under the griddle pan. Take 1 - 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and put on pan. After a minute or two, test griddle with a drop of water to see if hot enough. Than ladle a large spoonful of mixture onto the hot griddle. Cook until golden brown (3-4 minutes) and flip over. Cook until golden brown on other side as well.
8) Remove from hot griddle and serve with the cranberry sauce.
Recipe from Connecticut Magazine November 2016